Thursday, December 2, 2010

Ding, ding, ding....





Chemo day done. Nurse Susie told me she had no further orders to give me more treatments... but I gotta hear it from the Doc before I fully believe I am DONE with chemo. I'll be seeing him again on the 10th and we will see what he says. That'd be sweet.

Speaking of sweet... I made a rum cake this morning that I took with me to all the guys at my oncology place. It had about 2 cups of rum in it... soaked through the whole cake along with brown sugar and butter. I am saying DANG!. That went over well!


Lots of people ask what it is like to get chemo. I certainly didn't know before... that they put you on a table in a big cold room and pluck all your hair out, slowly.


Nah, not really. I go to a really nice building with my Doc's office... and many other Doctors and Nurses, Vampires, etc. Half the building is "The Chemo Room"... huge, long, full of T.V.'s and recliners. I can't be bothered with any news network and their bullshit so I plug in my MP3 player.

They get you all comfy and tuck blankets around you and pillows under your head and hook you up to an I.V. They give you several easy meds, for nausea and allergic reactions. I think the allergic reaction medicine may be sort of not that necessary.. but taking Benedril by I.V. puts all the patients to sleep. It knocks me out like Mike Tyson for about an hour... I fought it today for a while but I finally caved and had a short nap. So after about 4 or 5 different medicines, they start the chemo I.V. and that takes a about 2.5 hours... It doesn't hurt. I will feel pretty good tomorrow and kinda poopie Saturday and Sunday... I will put in a lot of couch time like this picture... my dog, Birdie holds me down on the couch.


Its a little boring but the nurses come in and make you laugh and we have some fun. I was limited from where I was sitting to take any decent pictures. It is sorta fancy schmancie.








And the people that work here are mostly awesome. My Doc's nurse, Corey, is the most supportive and encouraging person I have ever met. I don't know how she does it but she makes people feel like they will be fine and it really, truly helps. Not just me, but she spreads her special magic all around to each patient. I haven't met anyone that is the stereo typical, calloused type... (except for the "former" receptionist... but that is another story).


Really though, their job is hard and they put their hearts into helping people, not just their knowledge an expertise... that too but... they really put their hearts into it.


So I made them a kick-ass buttery, sugary rum cake, still warm from the oven, cause that is how I love people.

And then I took this picture, trying to capture the awesome sunset while driving home in busy traffic on a 2 lane, double yellow lines, curvy road... with my arm out of the window and my camera backwards... cause that's how I drive.






1 comments:

DittyK said...

Our God is an awesume God and he has been answering my prayers for you Billie Claire. You sound wonderful. Merry Christmas to you and your family. will send pictures from Christmas Eve. Santa is going to be there!!