Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The spirit of Christmas

I just realized what I am doing. I subconsciously want and try to make my holidays like it was when I was a girl. I want every kid to feel like I felt with my family at Christmas. I want to be the person they remember in their childhood that made Christmas feel so special.
I want to be like Aunt Florence.

Living out in the cotton patch was great but our time spent with our cousins and aunts and uncles was very limited because of living in the sticks and both parents working, etc. Family gatherings when I was little were extra special and were always spent at my Aunt Florence's home in W. Memphis.

My recollection is of a sprawling ranch style house with a fire place and den and huge living room and dining room. The dining room was completely filled with the dining table, open to its fullest girth, using all the leaves... draped in a festive holiday table cloth and literally covered to the groaning point with Christmas delicacies worthy of visions dancing in the head.

Everywhere were decorations.... a bright Christmas tree with mounds of presents that I wanted desperately to investigate...poinsettia floral arrangements dusted in glitter and draped with silver icicles. The front door was completely wrapped with a Christmas covering that appeared as if Santa were opening the door to the home and welcoming you in. (50's trompe l'oeil). Even the toilet seat had a Christmas cover. WWJD?
There were Hershey's silver wrapped chocolate kisses... it seemed to me there were dishes of them everywhere. I can remember walking into Aunt Florence's home, wide eyed at the wonder of it all.

(To be continued)

1 comments:

nena said...

Yeah...and I think Mom always got us dressed in
some form of velvet in holiday colors and lace!
Remember that red lace bra and panties you got one year?? I was so jealous! LOL!! I remember
Daddy always making a big deal about Mom's present and telling me a great big lie about it to see if I told her....which I did. She got it out of me...couldn't take the pressure.