Friday, September 17, 2010

Visiting Dr. Canova

Dr. Canova is the sweetest man. He is fairly young and extremely smart but there is more. You can tell he has seen a lot. Therefor, he is reserved, unlike myself and his adorable nurse, Cory, who is more of a spaz like me. Cory had already called me and told me my test results were very, very good. She had faxed them to me but they aren't exactly easy to read so I waited for Dr. Canova who will tirelessly explain everything.
My original tests had shown cancer from my lower abdomen to my neck. From my lower abdomen, it showed up on my spleen, liver, lungs, and many lymph nodes that headed north. That was how we discovered it, by a small lump on my neck. Now, most of the lymph nodes are clear, nothing on the lungs or liver but still a cystic mass in my lower abdomen and something on my spleen. Dr. Canova seemed very pleased. We still have a way to go. I have completed 5 rounds and have an appointment with the surgeon on next Tuesday and he will call the shots now. It seems surgery is eminent although the when is up in the air.
There is a limit to how much chemo one can handle. I have handled it really very easily. Some people aren't so lucky. I can't even imagine going through all of this and not having cancer reduced. I am a lucky girl. But, chemo is tough on a person physically and there are "cumulative toxins" involved and the neuropathy... numbness in your extremities.. finger tips, toes.. a side effect that doesn't go away.
I am in a holding pattern until Tuesday. I am in good hands and have loving support all around me.
That is because of each of you.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
P.S. the one eyelash is still hanging in there.... : )

5 comments:

Sandy said...

Billie!
I am so relieved to hear things are improving! YAY! Reading your words of insight is so uplifting. The Mateo story as well as "chance meetings" shows us that there is always, always a bright side to any situation (if we look for it). The way you keep giving, inspite of everything, reconfirms my belief that attitude is everything. You and your one eyelash hang in there, there is so much more to come.
Much Love XOXOXOXO

nena said...

Awesome, awesome news!!! Half way through and more than half gone! I like the way that sounds! I am more than sure that your desire to whip this is a major enhancement to recovery..that and the gratitude that fills you every day. Your doctor has got to appreciate the dignity that he sees in you and your attitude..because you know he sees it all. You are a shining example my sister...I have no words that can express how much gratitude I have for you. You leave a huge wake of love behind you in your walk.
All my love..

Lynn said...

I am grinning from ear to ear!! Go Bilbo!!!

DittyK said...

Such wonderful and encouraging news BC, I am sure that your doctor is wishing that all of his patients had your attitude and trust. Your willingness to listen and to have faith is most important in your recovery. Your WM family is praying for you daily and sending more love than you can imagine. Continue your journey and continue your improvement, That little angel on your shoulder is there for a reason and it seems to be working. Love and Kisses, Dixie

Cynthia said...

Im doing the happy dance right now. You ROCK.