Saturday, September 11, 2010

Pen Pals

I don't remember ever having had a real pen pal when I was a kid, but I do remember wanting one. (I probably made one up in my head and wrote letters to them... : 0)


The office where I work has a cleaning crew that comes every two weeks. The owner of the company is a lovely woman named Eve. One Monday morning after they had cleaned over the weekend, I came into the office and found a note from Mateo, Eve's son. It gave a little brief history of his life and also asked that we try not to make a big mess for his Mom to have to clean up. Isn't that adorable. Well, I had to write him back. I asked several questions about his age, school, whether he had a pet...and I left the note on the counter. It laid around on the front desk of the office for weeks. My hopes for a pen pal were fading fast. I came into work last Wednesday and found a reply from Mateo.

Just in case you can't read the note it says, "Thank you, Billie and yes I do have a pet. He is a dog and my favorite book is Dr. Seuss and my favorite movie is Spider-man. I am 2 and 3. Thank you for asking all these questions. I hope you feel good and I feel a little sad about you, and feel better.
P.S. I am in 3rd grade.
Bye
I will pray for you Mateo Aguirre"
It just doesn't get stronger than that does it.
P.S.
A bunch of you write to my email address with your comments, thoughts, love and feelings and they are all so beautiful. I want everyone to read what you write to me. You should really post your comments on this blog and share your words and feelings with others. It helps everybody that way, right? Mateo certainly brightened my life. I bet he brightened yours too.

1 comments:

nena said...

Thanks for the beautiful post sis..You could not ask or receive a greater prayer than that which comes from a heart so innocent and honest. When did life become so complicated?? Mateo reminds me that it really isn't..we just make it that way. Dealing with these "elements" teaches me to love this day with all my might and love what is...and in this moment I truly do. Thank you, I love you..Nena