Sunday, July 25, 2010

Quiet Sunday

Life flows by in a blur sometimes and I love every second of it.

Destin was was such a great trip. It had been too long since I had visited the area, my sister and her hubbie.

Signs of the times that got my back up....

1. The beaches are as pristine as ever.
2. Working people there are struggling to stay in biz.
3. The news media in general should be categorized as a terrorist.
4. BP is at least trying.

DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU HEAR OR SEE ON CNN. There was no oil on the beaches and they are virtually empty of visitors (especially for high season) except for droves of local people, hired by BP to patrol the beaches for oil. I am only one person but I can tell you that you could see more balls at a Indigo Girls concert than on the beach at Destin.

No tar, no oil, no tourists, no more Destin... before too long. PLEASE go to the Emeral Coast and tell your friends to go. It is tough to compete with the advertising power of CNN but I am trying to help.

It is sad to see people losing their businesses after struggling through Katrina, et al.
Break any habit you may have of turning on any news station, including the weather channel for a while. You will be a happier person for it and you will still know what is going on, trust me... News flash, Lindsay Lohan is going down like the spoiled, media hyped, desperate person you already knew she was with access to too much of everything. Personally, I can't help her and don't really give a rats ass. Please, oh please let the Kardashian's be next!

I know of one friend of my sister's that owns a beach business of renting chairs, umbrellas, etc. on a gorgeous spot on the beach. She took her financial info to BP to show them how much she'd lost since the oil episode. They cut her a check on the spot (damn) and and are mailing her an additional check that will get her back on her feet and where she needs to be.

At any rate, it was a beautiful trip and not too physically hard... much good food and vist'n. Mom laughed so much, and that was awesome.

More test results show that the cancer is shrinking. We are on the right track and responding well. More chemo in order.. at least 4 more sessions and then another series of tests for evaluation. Tuesday the 27 is chemo day.

When I came home from Destin, one of my oldest and dearest friends came down from Memphis with her hubbie for a visit. Lynn and Rogers had been down about 4-5 years ago and we'd had a bunch of fun. This time, Lynn said she just wanted to rub my bald head and "Wish Cotton was a monkey". ... but we never got around to that.
More vist'n, more eating and lots of laughs. Lynn felt better after seeing me and I think she was a little surprised, or maybe just relieved to see that I am happy.
I really am happy.

Honestly, I haven't felt sad... well... except maybe about losing my hair, ("vanity, vanity, thy name is Billie")

On the whole, I really feel almost privileged. In the weird way my brain is dealing with all this, I feel like I must be pretty special to be dished out a load like this one... and the real challenge is more the ability to be able to bear it gracefully and come out a better person as a result. It is that old saying, "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" and I feel stronger. I feel alive. I try to really live every second of everyday. Its fun! What an awesome opportunity to be reminded that we are all finite human beings and shouldn't take a moment for granted. And what a way to re-connect! Get cancer and people you haven't had a chance to be closer with in a long while are right there for you! Family, friends, emails, cards, prayers, love... and it is all great.

As always, your comments and support and prayers all serve to fuel my outlook. I can't thank you enough.

2 comments:

DittyK said...

Billie, so very glad you and Aunt Bernice had a good trip to Destin.Hope you had some good food for me and Sid.
Hope your Chemo day goes by fast tomorrow and you continue to receive good news. the news you have shared so far has been MARVELOUS. Thank you for this blog, thank you for sharing your journey with those of us that love you so much.Looking forward to hearing more. Love you Cuz

Lynn said...

What a special time Rog and I had with you and Charlie. You are right, I do feel better now that I have seen you with my own two eyes. Folks, believe her...she is happy and doing well. We all need to keep praying and I have high hopes. Once again, Billie has been there to comfort me. This time is just a little different but still she made me feel so much better!!! Love you so Bilbo!! Lynn