Sunday, July 4, 2010

Learning to let go and be independent : )

Yesterday, I cut my hair really short... It had gotten really thin and looked like I was going through a nuclear winter, so I got my scissors and went to town. My joke of the day was when someone would say, "Oh your hair looks cute!" .. I'd grab a little tuft which came out easily and say, "Thanks, would you like some?" My husband cracked up but my Mom didn't quite see the humor. I have to get a camera and post some pics. My far away friends and family should get a load of this. I may have to shave it off tomorrow... I am shedding worse than my yellow lab, Birdie. It is apropos that on 4th of July weekend, its time to learn to not be dependent on hair...

I also joined a forum for women with ovarian cancer. Its just that there are so many questions I want to ask and while my doctor is extremely patient and thorough... sometimes you just want to hear it from another woman who is or has been there. What I have learned is that this is a long thing to fight because of the rate of recurrence and the survival stats just aren't that good...less than 40%... but hey, someone has to make the 40%, right?

It is weird because there is a part of me that wants to be accepting and sort of brace myself for the chance that I may not make it. Then there is the other side of the coin that makes me want to refuse to accept it and kick some ass. I think you'd call this a dichotomy.

I have physically been feeling really great. My next chemo is on Tuesday.

I am cramming my head full of wonderful, positive information through books, CDs, etc. And I have a whole posse of people out there who are keeping me in their thoughts and prayers and I know this helps to keep my spirits high.

My husband has got to be my strongest ally, best friend and the person who keeps me laughing. I am blessed with such a beautiful family and a ton of wonderful friends.

Who or what are you blessed with?

7 comments:

DittyK said...

Thinking of you today Bille, as I do everyday. Hope all goes well with your chemo today and that day three comes and goes without much fanfare. I'm so glad you have Charlie and your Florida Family. They sound like wonderful loving people and I know they are taking great care of you.
John has a gift for you from me when you see him next.....You may have to remind him.....but it is from the heart. Please give Aunt B a hug from the Gordon's.
I too am blessed with a wonderful family, the same family that we share here in Arkansas. God has truly blessed me with almost 42 years of marriage to Sid, (Can you believe it).
I watch your posts. I check everyday for news. Please know you are loved!!
Your Cuz, Dixie

Sandy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandy said...

Hey Billie!

I am so glad to hear that you are physically feeling great. Well, the hair thing, I guess that was inevitable. I actually think you would look good bald.

Billie, you are a beautiful, fun, loving spirit
what ever you decide to put on your head. Maybe you can become a hat girl. Experiment and have some fun with it?

That hubby of yours will keep your spirits up. You are so blessed by such supportive and caring family and friends. As am I.
Thank you for asking all of us to look at our blessings and reminding everyone what we have.
How fragile life is.

Stay strong and kick some ass!
Love you, see you soon cuz, Sandy

Lynn said...

I am blessed to have a life long friend like you. Love you Bilbo.

Unknown said...

I am blessed to have the faith in God that I do and I know he has his arms around you and the family to get you all through this time in your life. I am blessed to call YOU MY FRIEND, and I love you and pray for you to be free of pain and cancer RIGHT NOW ! I am blessed to have such a strong and positive friend that knows fighting is the best chance ever and in the end--your fight will be worth every moment. YOU ARE A BLESSING to this earth...NEVER GIVE UP ! I love you ! Kiss Charlie and Bernice for me and Bo and I will see you soon.

Unknown said...

Hey, we always said your mom would even be beautiful in a flour sack. It runs in the family! Go for the bald look! You might enjoy it! lol I have no doubt that whatever way you go, you'll be just as beautiful as alwyas!
I keep you in my prayers Billie. It warms my heart to see your wonderful personality coming out thru this. Keep your chin up and know that we all love you :)

joni said...

Dear friend, i am thinking of you. you know what? you really are a super writer. what a talent you have! You are in my thoughts and prayers, With love, Joni